When using Google Calendar, there may be times when you want to assign an event to more than one calendar, or at least have it appear on more than one calendar. But as of now, Google does not seem to provide that functionality. The steps below outline a workaround process to allow an event to appear on more than one calendar. The steps involve creating a new calendar, getting the calendar’s ID, adding the calendar as a contact, and finally adding the new calendar/contact as an invitee to your event(s).
Create your new calendar in Google calendar
- In the left column of the Google Calendar view, click the drop-down arrow next to My calendars, and select Create new calendar.
- In the Create New Calendar view:
- Provide a Calendar Name.
- Optionally, provide a Description.
- Optionally, provide a Location.
- Be sure that the Country is set to United States.
- Be sure that the Now select a time zone option is set to (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.
- You can check the box for Make this calendar public to make it easier for other people to subscribe this calendar, but there are a couple of caveats:
- The main drawback is that this makes the calendar truly accessible to the public, and events may show up in Google search results.
- If you want to manage the sharing more closely, use the Share with specific people option instead by entering specific email addresses. The challenge here is remembering to come back and add email addresses if you want to share the calendar with new people.
- I would set the Permission Settings to See all event details.
- Select the Create Calendar button.
- If you selected Make this calendar public in the steps above, you will receive a pop-up message — Warning: Making your calendar public will make all events visible to the world, including via Google search. Are you sure?
- Select Yes to continue and create your calendar with public visibility.
- Select No to go back and change your calendar’s public visibility settings.
- Your new calendar will now show up in the list of My calendars.
Get your new calendar’s ID
- Under the list of My Calendars, hover over your new calendar and a drop-down arrow will appear to the right of it.
- Click the drop-down arrow and select Calendar settings from the pop-up window.
- In the Calendar Details window, you should see Calendar Address toward the bottom, with the Calendar ID and a long string of text in email format in parentheses.
- Highlight the Calendar ID and copy it using Ctrl+C (Windows) or Cmd+C (Mac) on your keyboard, or Edit > Copy from the browser menu.
- Click the Cancel button, or click the Back to Calendar link.
Add the new calendar as a Google Contact
To make it easier to reference this calendar in future events that you create, it’s best to add this calendar to your list of Google Contacts.
- Click the Google apps “grid” in the upper right corner of your browser window and select Contacts from the pop-up window.
- If you don’t see Contacts in this pop-up window, select Gmail. This will open Gmail in a new tab or window for you. In the upper left corner of this new window, select the drop-down arrow next to Gmail and select Contacts from the list.
- Now in the Contacts view, click the red circular button in the lower right corner — it should look like a person icon with a plus sign next to the person. This will allow you to Add a new contact.
- You’ll now see a pop-up window, prompting you to Enter a name. Fill in the name of the new calendar you created. Google will automatically search through your current contacts and all public Google+ contacts for matches as you type in your calendar name. You can ignore these results, and once you have the name typed in as you want, click the Create button.
- You should now be in the Edit contact window. Click the line that says Add an email and paste the Calendar ID that you copied in the steps above. You can paste it using Ctrl+V (Windows) or Cmd+V (Mac) on your keyboard, or Edit > Paste from the browser menu.
- Click the Save button.
Add your new calendar/contact to the list of event invitees
Now, when you create a new event in Google Calendar, you can add your new calendar/contact to the list of invitees.
- Create a new event in Google Calendar.
- When you edit the event, you will see place on the right side where you can Add guests.
- In the Add guests field, type the name of the new calendar/contact that you created in the steps above and click the Add button. (NOTE: There may be a time delay between when you create the calendar as a Google Contact and when it will be available to add as a guest to your new event(s). Be patient.)
- Your new event will now appear in the calendar where you created it, and also in the calendar that you added as a guest.